If you're looking for Windows 95 and its useful collection of PowerToys utilities, you can add helpful little enhancements with Microsoft that now optimize the use of Microsoft desktops for Windows 1
PowerToys, Microsoft's playful name for a number of free Windows add-ons, first developed for Windows 95, gives users greater flexibility in performing a variety of Windows tasks. Z The new PowerToys utilities improved in Windows 10.
With FancyZones, you can create a pre-defined grid on your desktop that automatically adjusts the window size to a given layout – useful for users who work with many open windows and want to keep them accessible and organized without constantly adjusting them have to.
The second and less resourceful quick guide is to get an overview of the keyboard shortcuts available for the currently active app, including the Windows 10 desktop. If you forget what shortcuts you need to use, you can use this tool to navigate your memory much faster than navigating through the menu options to find them.
Downloading and Installing PowerToys
You can quickly download and set up PowerToys for Windows 10.  . 1 To start PowerToys, first download the installer from GitHub, where Microsoft hosts the first two PowerToys. You want the file PowerToysSetup.msi.
. 2 If you have the choice, choose to save the MSI file to the desktop or to a file folder, and then locate the file when the download is complete.
3. Open the PowerToysSetup.msi file to launch the PowerToys Setup Wizard.
4. Click Next select the check box for approval of the license agreement and click Next .
5. In the next dialog box, you can change the default installation folder in the program files to show PowerToys icons in the Start menu and on the desktop, and if you want to start PowerToys at login.
6. When you have made your selection, click Next and then Install .
7. When the process is complete, a box appears indicating that the setup is complete, and you have the option to start PowerToys . Select this check box and click Finish .
How to set up PowerToys
1. You should now see a rainbow-colored PowerToys icon in your system tray at the bottom right corner of your screen. Open it to bring up Settings .
General Settings shows a list of available PowerToys tools: FancyZones and Short Guide are enabled by default.
Screenshot of Clifford Colby / CNET
. 2 Under General Settings in the left column, click FancyZones to customize utility settings to simplify multitasking in Windows. You can choose from a variety of configurations to arrange your windows and customize their layout.
3. In the left column under FancyZones, select Shortcut Guide . This utility displays common keyboard shortcuts that use the Windows key . You can control how long you need to press the Windows key before the shortcut guide is displayed. You can also control the opacity of the displayed guide. That was it's close the PowerToys settings window and you're done. With Microsoft's first batch of PowerToys for Windows 10, you can now enjoy an enhanced Windows 10 experience.
CNET may receive a commission from retailers.