Opera is no stranger to browser wars. There has been an alternative to the more popular browsers since 1995. Opera blocks ads and trackers by default. In fact, the welcome screen gives you the option to turn on the ad blocker immediately when you first install it. The browser also offers a free VPN, which, according to the company, encrypts all data that is transmitted via public WLAN and forwards it via a remote server.
Dealing with trackers
If you have not changed the tracking blocker If you have installed Opera and now want to activate it, you have to switch it on manually. Fortunately, it is not difficult.
- Select the Settings icon (a gear) from the menu on the left. Click on "Basic".
- Under "Privacy" you can now "block trackers" and, if you want, "block ads and surf the web up to three times faster".
Customize your tracking settings
Once enabled, both the tracking blocker and the ad blocker offer the Manage Exceptions option, which allows you to choose which ads or trackers to allow, and the Lists feature Manage "This option allows you to choose which ad and tracker block lists Opera should use. (You may use the Manage Exceptions option a lot when using Opera for the first time. Otherwise, you may see 404 error messages for several major websites.)
With Opera you can also see which trackers are blocked:
- When you are on a site, a check mark appears on the blue shield icon in the address bar when it is active. Click the icon to see the number of blocked trackers and ads. Disable the blocking of advertisements and / or trackers for this particular site by clicking the "Disable for this site" button in the ads or trackers area.
- Click "List of blocked trackers" to see which tracker is currently blocking Opera.
Opera is another Chromium browser. Therefore, the granular control approach may be known:
- Click "Advanced" under "Settings"  Click "Privacy and Security"> "Site Settings"> "Cookies and Site Data".
- You can toggle between "Allow sites to save and read cookie data", "Block third-party cookies" and "Delete cookies and site" toggle data when Opera is closed.
- To cookies by site to delete, click on "Show all cookies and site data". Then click the trash can icon next to each site. To delete individual cookies, click on the site name and then on the X next to each cookie. Click the arrow to view cookie details.
Clean your cookies.
You cannot set Opera to wipe data when you leave the browser. You can manually delete the data collected over the past hour, past 24 hours, past seven days, and past four weeks. You can also delete everything.
- Go to Settings> Privacy & Security> Clear Browsing Data.
- In the "Basic" view you can delete your browser history, cookies and cached data. In the "Advanced" view, you can also delete your message usage, passwords and a variety of other settings.
- Select your period and click on "Clear dates".
Fingerprint and ad blocking
As mentioned earlier, Opera can be used to easily block ads. All the controls for managing the ad blockers are right next to the tracking blockers.
No specific protective measures against fingerprints could be found in the Opera documents.
Vox Media maintains partner partnerships. These have no impact on the editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. Further information can be found in our ethics policy .