White House Doctor Sean Conley offered a new schedule for the president’s coronavirus infection during a press conference Saturday morning. He later declined the statement.
Conley held the briefing to review the condition of President Donald Trump after he was hospitalized at Walter Reed Medical Center on Friday night. The doctor said Trump’s condition had improved, but he also said the president’s COVID-19 infection was identified a day earlier than previously thought.
“Just 72 hours after diagnosis,” said Conley. “The first week of COVID, and especially days 7-10, are the most critical in determining the likely course of this disease.”
That would mean Trump was diagnosed on Wednesday.
Dr. Brian Garibaldi, a doctor on the team that looks after Walter Reed’s president, also said Trump received an experimental antibody treatment “48 hours ago” that would take place around Thursday morning.
This was a different timeline than the one created by incremental statements from the White House. Trump announced his positive test results early Friday morning, and the White House announced its experimental antibody treatment later that day.
When asked for clarification, Conley contradicted his earlier testimony.
“On Thursday afternoon after news of close contact, we repeated the tests and raised a little more concerns about certain clinical indications. And then we got PCR confirmation that it was him late at night [positive],” he said.
Shortly after the briefing, Conley released a statement withdrawing his original schedule from the press conference, saying he said “wrongly” 72 hours instead of “day three” and 48 hours instead of “day two”. (Though Garibaldi said “48 hours,” not Conley himself.)
“The president was first diagnosed with COVID-19 on Thursday evening, October 1, and received Regeron’s antibody cocktail on Friday, October 2,” the statement said.
The company that does the antibody treatment is called Regeneron.