If you just bought a new laptop, you may want to personalize the look first. Windows offers numerous options for customizing the display when you open your device. You can choose a lock screen, use a photo or other image as your wallpaper, and choose a theme.
Once you access your personalization settings, it's pretty easy and straightforward. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Click the Start button.
- Click the gear icon to open Settings.
- Select "Personalization".
From here you can make various design changes to the user interface of your device PC.
Change your background picture.
- Click Background on the left bar.
- Menu below under "Background" in the main windows to choose whether an image, a slideshow or a solid color should be used as the background image.
- If you want to select an image as wallpaper, click on "Image". Windows gives you some of your own photo options under "Choose your picture".
- If you'd prefer to use one of your own photos, click the "Browse" button. Select an image and click on "Select image".
- To change the format of the photo, click the drop-down menu under "Choose an adjustment". There are several ways you can use the image: fill in the area, center it on the screen, for example, or create a tile effect.
- Once you've selected a customization, your new background image will appear behind the Settings window. Feel free to experiment to find out what suits you (and your photo) best.
- If the image does not fill the entire screen, you can also choose a background color. Scroll down to "Choose your background color" and choose a color. (If the image fills the entire screen, this option is not displayed.)
- If you prefer to skip setting a picture as background, you can choose a color instead. From the Background drop-down menu, choose Solid Color, and then choose a color from the tiles under Choose Your Background Color. You can also choose a custom color.
- Finally, you can select "Slideshow" from the dropdown list under "Background". To choose which images to display in your slideshow, click Browse under Select albums for your slideshow, select a folder, and then click Select This Folder.
- You will then find additional settings to choose from, e.g. B. How often the slide show changes pictures, the switching switches or not Play the slide show on battery power and how the picture should fit on the screen. You can also choose a background color if the image does not fill the screen.
How to set a lock screen  Select "Lock screen" in the left sidebar.
- Open the drop-down menu under "Background". You get three options: "Windows Spotlight", "Picture" and "Slideshow".
- To use a static image as a lock screen, select "Image". Then choose an image from the following options: "Select your image."
- As with your background image, you can also use your own photo for the lock screen by clicking "Browse", navigating to the desired image in the pop-up window, and then clicking "Select Image".
- Click Slideshow to set up a slideshow to play when your device is locked. A section titled "Choose albums for your slideshow" appears, showing the folders from which the slideshow plays images. To remove a folder, click on it and then click "Remove". To add another folder, click the "Add Folder" button, navigate to the folder you want to select, and then click "Select this folder".
- Below that is "Advanced Slideshow Settings". Click to adjust settings, e.g. For example, when you turn off your screen, whether you lock or turn off the screen when the device is inactive, and whether you want to play a slideshow when your Windows is running on battery.
- The third option for the lock screen is "Windows Spotlight". This function gives you a photo for your lock screen. You can specify whether you like the photo and your feedback will be used to customize which photos follow.
- Regardless of which lock screen option you choose, you can customize the apps will appear on this screen. Click the icon below "Choose an app to view detailed status on the lock screen" and choose an app from the drop-down menu. From there, you can select additional apps that display a less detailed status on the lock screen.
Choose an accent color:
- Click on "Colors" in the left sidebar  Click on the down-menu under "Choose your color". Here you can choose between light and dark mode. If you select Custom, you can use light or dark mode separately for Windows and your apps.
- Whatever you choose, you can then scroll down to "Choose your accent color" and choose a color from one of the tiles there, or choose a custom color by clicking the + below.
Themes are a set of wallpapers, sounds, and colors that you can use to customize your device. You can choose a theme that comes with your system, or you can download more from the Microsoft Store.
- You will find "Topics" in the left sidebar and your current topic is displayed in a window at the top of the main area.
- If you want, you can click on "Background". With "Color", "Sounds" and "Mouse Pointer" you can adjust each of these functions individually.
- Scroll down Click Change Topic to see some others for you to choose from. You can still see the results of the changes in the window at the top of the page and can customize the background, color, sounds and cursors. There is also a link to the Microsoft Store where you can find additional topics about playing.
- Click "Save Theme" to save the custom theme you created.