The long-awaited Holy Grail for those who use a laptop and a phone is a seamless handover for anyone who does not want to stop what they're doing on one screen to do something else on the smaller one. Now Microsoft is helping to bridge this gap by making and answering calls directly from your PC. You can also send calls directly to voicemail.
The new feature called "Calls" is part of a Windows 1
Microsoft is the latest brand to make the phone easier to use your phone from your computer. Apple has Continuity, which lets you transfer documents, photos, and calls between your Apple devices. With Samsung, you can mirror content between mobile devices as well as MacOS and Windows. Also on Google you can use the news app in a browser on Macs and PCs.
If you're part of the Windows Insider program, learn how to do it.
How to set up your phone app and connect your phone and PC.
To connect Windows 10 to your Android phone: Start with Windows 10's Your Phone app
1. Open the Your Phone app in Windows 10 Preview , tap right on Android then Next.
2. Enter your mobile phone number and tap Submit to have Microsoft send you a link to connect your Android phone to your PC.
. 3 On your Android device, open the text message and tap the message link that leads you to the Google Play app page.
4. After installation, tap Install, and then tap Open (or locate your Phone Companion app on your Android desktop and tap to open).
5. Enter your Microsoft account information in the app and tap Sign In.
6. In the next screen, tap Next and then Allow if you want the app to access your contacts, manage calls, access files on the phone and send text messages, and displays.
7. Next, tap Next and then Allow if you want the app to run in the background.
8. Finally, tap Allow to connect your Android device to your PC. Then tap on Continue and finally on Done.
9. On Windows 10, you may also need to give your phone permission to call your Phone application.
How to Search Your Android Photos and Messages on Your Windows 10 PC
You can use the "Your Phone" application to manage your photos from your phone and send messages.
1. In Windows 10, open the Phone app.
2 . In the left pane, tap Photos, Messages, or Notifications to manage these items from your phone. If you do not see anything, touch Refresh to show photos and messages.
Making and receiving Android phone calls on Windows
When everything is set up, you can now do the tasks of your Android phone on your PC through your phone.
1. On your phone, tap Calls in the left pane.
2. To make a call, look for contacts or use the dialer.
3. When a call comes in, a dialog box appears allowing you to answer or reject a call or send a message instead of answering while available. For more information on the Android phones offered by Microsoft, see.
Originally published last week.
CNET may receive a commission from retailers.